About a month ago, I volunteered to interview candidates for scholarships from the Wisconsin Alumni Association Chicago Chapter. Tonight, I'm thankful for the opportunity to offer a scholarship to a future Badger! It was quite the process though...
First, I called the student's home number. The student's mom answered and told me the student was working and wouldn't be home until late. I asked about her schedule tomorrow but her mom wasn't sure. Then I asked if the student had a cell phone and her mom said yes. So, I said I would call the student's cell and leave a message. I also told her mom that the student was going to be offered the WAA scholarship which brought her to tears.
Then, I called the student but her voicemail wasn't set up! So, I texted her telling her who I was and that I was going to email her. Almost immediately after I sent the email, she called me back and I was able to tell her the awesome news. She was so happy and so thankful!
A few minutes later, the student's mom called me back in a bit of a panic because she realized the student didn't have her voicemail set up. I reassured her that I had just talked to her daughter. She again teared up and thanked me.
Since I cry whenever someone else cries, it was an emotional few minutes for me as well...but it was so great to be able to play a part in another student's education at UW-Madison!
No comments:
Post a Comment