One of my New Year's resolutions was to eat more vegetables (more of those resolutions soon) and I'm doing a pretty good job at it. Sure, some days are better than others, but overall I'm doing much better. If I don't have leftovers for lunch, I usually walk over to the grocery store and get soup (with vegetables) and a pretzel bun. Lately, I've been substituting a salad for the pretzel bun. Most recently, it's been far too hot for soup so I've been eating a nice, big salad with lots of raw veggies on it. I love it! I've also been making green monster (spinach) smoothies to eat between breakfast and lunch. I'm getting there!
Here are a couple of blog posts that I've come across that I found interesting:
1. Disney Goes Healthy - Disney World, Magic Kingdom specifically, has added fresh veggies and flatbreads to its menus. I've gone to Disney World with John's family three times in the last five years. I can't remember when I first noticed it, but they've had healthy options for quite some time. John's sister, mom, and I usually get the kid's meals just because we don't need as much food as the adult portions give. The kid's meals default to healthier options for sides and drinks (grapes, apple slices, carrot sticks, milk). There are less healthy options available (fries, cookies, soda) but you have to ask for them specifically. Disney is also getting rid of junk food ads during their programming. True, this won't go into effect until 2015...but it's still a pretty big step in the right direction!
2. Veggie Prescriptions - What a great idea! Most people know that they should eat healthy. Some can't afford it. I learned in my FNP program that exercise prescriptions work for people...why not veggie prescriptions? Plus, this program makes the veggies (and fruits) more affordable through vouchers. Very interesting idea!
Stay healthy, my friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment