Thursday, September 1, 2011

Books


I read The Help on our way to Montana.  I absolutely loved the book.  I thought it was very well-written and felt like I was right there in the characters' places.  I loved how different chapters were written from the perspective of different characters.  I had to control myself so that I wouldn't end up bawling in the car...though I definitely shed a few tears (and would have shed more had I been in the privacy of my own home).  I'm interested in seeing the moving but am afraid I'll be disappointed by it...we'll see, I guess.


On the way home, I read Water for Elephants.  I was really psyched to read this book because I had heard so many good things about it.  I thought it was good...but I didn't like it as much as I liked The Help.  It wasn't as easy to get into for me...and while I thought it was a good story, I didn't connect with the characters as much.


I started The Audacity of Hope on the way home from Montana and just finished it on the train this past week.  I was very impressed with Barack Obama's writing style and just by what he had to say.  I realized more than ever that I have many of the same views on political issues.  It was also cool to hear him talk about Chicago now that I live here (and other parts of Illinois too).  It was definitely hard to switch from fiction to non-fiction...but I really enjoyed reading this book too...and definitely want to read Dreams from My Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment