Sunday, April 3, 2016

Race Report: Shamrock Shuffle 8K

Finishers (minus Geoff who is taking the photo)

Keith, Natallie, Geoff, and I ran the Shamrock Shuffle 8K this morning. Keith stayed at our place last night so he didn't have to get up as early. We met Natallie in the lobby at 7:15am. We got to the gear check area before 7:45am so we got to stand out in the chilly weather for awhile. Geoff, Meg, and the boys met us right around 8am so Keith and I gave our jackets to Meg and we went to our corrals. Keith and Geoff were in Corral B and Natallie and I were in Corral C.

The sun came out a little while we were waiting for the start. That warmed us up a little bit...but just a little! I told Natallie I was just going to run this one, not race it. She ran with me until the first turn when she ran ahead to find a port-a-potty. I had planned to run by myself but didn't bring headphones along. I figured the other runners, volunteers, and spectators would be enough entertainment.

My watch had a hard time keeping signal so I wasn't really sure what my pace was. It told me one mile was in the 7:00s which I knew was wrong and another was in the 11:00s which I thought just might be right. It was a good lesson in running by feel!

I finished feeling really good. I even had enough to give the last stretch a little extra. I made my way through the finish area and found Natallie in the finisher photo area. Soon after, we found Keith, Geoff, Meg, and the boys...and then John showed up shortly after that. The plan was to go to brunch but, of course, the waits were long so we just got food from Eggy's and brought it back to our place to eat. It ended up working out pretty well!
I did it!
Cute shirt and a bottle opener medal

Distance: 8K
Time: 46:52
Cost: $40
Pros: Fun race to kick off the running season in Chicago, great course through downtown, easy to get to the start, reasonable start time
Cons: Weather
Would I run it again?: Yup!

No comments:

Post a Comment