Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

I have some catching up to do on here but wanted to get this post out on time...


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone! We hope this letter finds you well and looking forward to another year. So much happened this year. There were a lot of “downs” to start the year but fairly smooth sailing from then on. I want to say too much for a letter this year (I tried!) so I'm going to try out bullet points instead. :-)

The downs:
  • My cousin Tim Spindler passed away in January – We miss you, Timmer!
  • My mom had a mitral valve repair on January 24th. It was a scary few days but she made it through surgery with flying colors. The surgeon was pretty proud of himself! She has since completed the Challenge Walk MS (50 miles in 3 days) for the second year in a row and has begun running...watch out, world!
The ups:
  • My best friend Jamine announced that she was pregnant! In March, she found out that she was having twin boys. Cade Jefferson and Blake Luther Kurth were born on June 19th. These boys have officially stolen my heart!
  • I became Blake's godmother on August 19th!
  • We helped Annie and Ben celebrate their wedding on October 20th (and before with showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, etc.). I'm glad to officially have another in-law in the Lenz family, Ben!
  • John's job is going really well. He's finishing up his third semester at UIC and has published a few papers this year. Three more semesters and then we're off to the next job!
  • I love my job! Working with nursing students is definitely challenging but also very rewarding. I work with an awesome team. I do miss practicing as a nurse practitioner though...
The changes:
  • We sold our car! We've been living without a car since the end of May. We rent cars when we want to go out of town and take public transportation or walk to get anywhere in the city. It's been quite an adventure. I can honestly say there's only been one instance when I wished I had a car in the last 6+ months.
Our 2012 travels:
  • Sun Valley and Boise ID in January – Skiing, family, the gun range, minor league hockey
  • Siesta Key and Tampa FL in March – The beach, Busch Gardens, McAlister's Deli, John speaking at a conference, an afternoon with the Rothering's
  • Jamaica in July with Mark and KJ – Dunn's River Falls, river tubing, the beach, the pool, lots of delicious food and drinks!
  • Montana in August with John's parents – Lots of books for the drive, riding the combine with John, family, Yellowstone National Park, a harrowing drive through the Beartooth Scenic Byway, Mount Rushmore
  • Madison for the Crazylegs Classic in April and for Homecoming in October – Friends, fun, football
Running events:
  • Crazylegs Classic in April – PR in the 8K, John walked with friends
  • Brewers Mini Marathon in September – PR of 2:02 with a bathroom break! I loved the course!
  • Men's Health Urbanathlon Relay Leg #1 in October
  • Hot Chocolate 15K in November
  • Oshkosh Turkey Trot 5 mile run in November, John walked with family
Things we're looking forward to in 2013:
  • The Badgers in the Rose Bowl for the third time in a row. Third time's the charm, right?!?
  • Disney World Marathon Weekend in January – I'm running the Goofy Challenge (the half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday)
  • Disney World with the Lenz Family in May – Ben's first trip with us!
  • Weddings in Costa Rica and New York
  • Hopefully adding a new member to our little family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment