Monday, September 3, 2012

Preconception visit

**Disclaimer: This may be too much information for some readers!**

On Friday, I had a preconception visit with a nurse midwife.  Last January, my doctor suggested I make such an appointment so that I could get to know a potential pregnancy provider before actual pregnancy.  I'm so glad I did this!  I absolutely loved the midwife I chose...or actually, the midwife I was randomly assigned to.  

Basically, we're on track within about a month of when I had thought we could start trying to conceive (or TTC in the lingo).  I've been talking to one of my coworkers about this...asking for her advice on questions I should ask, etc. and she mentioned waiting 3 months to build up the necessary vitamins, minerals, etc.  That didn't seem as important to me as I have a pretty healthy diet already.  But, my midwife told me it's best to wait 2 to 3 months after stopping hormonal contraception to help build up the lining of the uterus in order to have a healthy pregnancy...now that made sense to me!

Other take-aways: I need to start taking my vitamins more regularly.  I went out and bought prenatal ones hoping that will help (plus the ones I had didn't have enough folic acid).  So far, so good!  I also asked about my upcoming Goofy Challenge race in January.  While the midwife thought I was insane, she said there's no medical contraindication, just that I might not feel so great and that I'd need to keep my heart rate under 140.  (I'll have to work on the heart rate part...I wore my heart rate monitor for the first time on Sunday and, while I'm not convinced it was entirely accurate, my HR average was 169.)  I probably won't need to worry about this as I think we'll be more likely to conceive after the new year.

When the appointment was over, the midwife said, "Well, I'll see you when you're pregnant!"  That really made it hit home...we're really starting this journey soon.  I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment