Monday, November 21, 2011

Fabulous brunch, fabulous company

Last week, one of my former clinical students from U of I emailed me out of the blue and asked to get together while she and another student were home for Thanksgiving break.  It was SO good to hear from this student...and SO awesome to actually catch up with both of them yesterday. 

First of all, they really made me feel good about myself.  I told them about my whole job drama this fall and they were so positive about it.  One of them said she was so impressed that I just went for what I wanted and got it.  "The stars have aligned for you," she said.  I never really thought of it that way, I guess.

They also expressed that they really appreciated what I had taught them.  One of their current clinical instructors told the student that her care plans were very thorough...and she attributed that to me!  The other student mentioned that she really appreciated that I even corrected her grammar.  I guess she "got" that I cared and wanted her to do it right...I don't think she gets that now.

Part of this made me a little sad because they're getting a little down about school stuff and being a nurse...some things slipped through the cracks and now they're catching up.  But, I'm glad they still see me as a resource.  I really love being their mentor...and hope that I can keep in contact with them as they begin their nursing careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment