Monday, May 2, 2011

RIP Grandpa Rohrer

Grandpa's last Christmas, 2005
Six years ago last Friday (April 29th), my Grandpa Rohrer passed away.  It was not expected but not entirely unexpected either.  He had been on dialysis for awhile and had had two major heart surgeries.  What was really strange was that I knew what had happened as soon as I saw my home phone number pop up on the caller ID.  John and I had stayed in that Friday night and were watching one of the Star Wars movies.  I'm just glad he was there with me.

Creme wafer cookies always remind me of Grandpa.  Those pink, yellow, and brown stick cookies.  I can't remember ever seeing him eat them but I remember Grandma telling me how much he liked them shortly before he passed away.  I LOVE those cookies! 

Of course, I'm reminded of him whenever I talk to Grandma too.  She's so happy that I brought another John into the family.  I don't really think of Grandpa when I think of "my" John though...he was Grandpa Rohrer to me, not John.

I also think of him whenever I watch a Badger game...or a golf match.  He absolutely hated that the Big Ten teams didn't play every other team in the conference and played "cushy" non-conference teams instead.  That annoys me too.

I miss you, Grandpa...but I know you're in a better place and I'll see you again.

My 8th birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment